Deux interview des développeurs de KOF XIII, Kukino et Nishimura ont été réalisées.
La première a été faite par le site 4gamer et concerne l'ensemble du jeu- The King Of Fighters XIII (modèles 3D utilisés pour le développement de K' et Mai, l'animation spéciale de KO de Yuri, les différents personnages glissés dans les décors, la provocation de Mai, etc.).
Tandis que la deuxième interview visible sur le blog KOF XIII concerne différents personnages qui étaient en développement à des stades plus ou moins avancés tels que Chang Koehan, Malin, Momoko et Oswald (que nous verrons peut être dans la version console du jeu?).
Les deux interviews traduites en anglais et quelques images et photos sont visibles dans la suite de l'article.
Very thorough interview on KOFXIII at 4gamer. I've written a synopsis below but the site is very worth checking out, there's a lot of images. Development 3D model pics of K' and Mai, Yuri's special KO, some background cameos, slideshow of Mai's taunt, etc.
Btw, after reading this, I hope to dear God they're going to fix up the game balance, because the finished product is quite different from what they've tried to acheive. It's not a problem if you're playing against casual players that pick the average characters, but when someone comes in with the top tiers (they're in a league of their own), it ruins the game very quickly. It's not as bad as some previous KOF releases, but it's hardly at the balance of 98.
Anything in parentheses ( ) are personal notes.
- The fundamental settings, plot, and conclusion to the Ash storyline was already set seven years ago when the chapter started. On the other hand, the team storylines are made up during each of the game's development. (Note: KOFXI's Magaki storyline gives a good overview on the identity of the Kanochi gang.)
- After XI, SNKP made multiple prototypes for a new KOF and it took them quite some time to come up with XII. Some parts of XIII were developed simultaneously with XII.
- Hwa Jai was chosen in XIII for multiple reasons:1.He seemed like he'd be an interesting character /2.He's often appeared in previous Neogeo game's stage backgrounds and he's somewhat known /3.People wouldn't care if the developers played around with his creation, unlike other popular characters /4.With Raiden in Kim's team, Hwa seemed like the perfect extra teammate /5.They wanted a funny character that has impact. (Note: And it was easy to make him by using Joes sprites, but that of course wasn't mentioned)
- There was originally no hyperdrive meter and drive cancels used the power meter. But the developers dicided that adding a new meter would give more depth to the game and give more things for players to learn. Beginners and normal players can start off by playing with just the power meter, and learn to use the drives as they advance. (Note: Nice concept, and drive cancelings are fun to do. However, there's also the downside; the new system lets advanced players annihilate beginners very quickly even compared to previous KOF titles.)
- The developers balanced the game so that not all the characters would be "almighty". They purposely balanced the game in a way that each of the characters have certain opponents that they're strong against. That way, KOF's 3-on-3 system works well. (Note: In competitive play, everyone just picks the Almighties.)
-For instance, with team Japan, Kyo was developed as a shoto character who can shoot projectiles and do anti-airs, making him good at fighting from a distance. Goro on the other hand is a close-range character, and Benimaru was created to fight in mid-range. (Note: Kyo has no need to fight like a Shoto.)
-XIII uses the same rendering techniques as XII in which the sprites are made from 3D models. The developers had an easier time with XIII since they already figured out the methods. A Physics engine and inverse kinematics is used for their movement, but there's a lot of manual fixing by hand to make their movements look better. (Note: K's body isn't separated into 4 colors in his 3D model stage.)
-The 3D models are not nessesarily realistic in terms of body balance since it's for a game; for example, their size of their fists are large in comparison to their heads. (Note: Deforming on the body balance is quite essencial for games.)
-The 3D models are only for reference and details, such as the face and coloring, are done by hand. Also, the model only has diffuse reflection toon shadings; specular reflection highlights (the gloss) are added by hand.
Suddenly, in an over use of Authority and almost in a violent tone the producer Kukino came out and said "How would this character look drawn in KoF XIII dotting style graphics", that's a daring plan.
- 5 months have passed since the start of this blog, there have been just so many difficulties but there is this deep feeling that something great was achieved.
With this summer intense heat has been really on season, specially with all of those heated battles of the Tougeki qualifers, Have you not fought on those? Even with that passionate feeling don't go there and forget to consume the right amount of water~.
Now, I wonder if it was just selfish from my part in the beginning and an extortion as an art director, "Everyone should see this character, why not draw them up a bit until they are completely cleaned up!" And even with that abuse of power, I also have been enjoying the results from this batch, and so this blog update took shape.
Now, let's check this exclusive footage.
Already in the Malasian stage Chang Koehan has a cameo appearance in dot graphics, due to Raiden and Hwa he could not make it into this game, however if we would have selected him we would have been aimed to such Volume that the whole screen would have been filled with Chang. Wouldn't have that been tasty ?
<reference: Cameo appearance from Chang>
Well, let's continue with Momoko and Malin :
Malin and Momoko fans everywhere, are you happy right now?
The gorgeous Mai, the cool Leona ~ Elisabeth ~ King, the sadistic beauty of Mature & Vice, the Cuteness of Athena ~ Yuri ~ Kula is what we got, but what with these two? (Malin & Momoko). Doesn't Momoko give a weightlessness feeling with that appearance, and does not Malin give that impressive agile expression with just looking at her?
And now with Oswald :
It's a cool Irish Stout Bill, with this design these draws almost become my life time career hobby. Doesn't it look like there is no thing in heaven and earth more stylish that those fingertips? How manly~
As we drawn these, we couldn't help but to wonder what would have happened if these characters would have made the cut into the game. Would you have liked to used them? Oh, well, that would end up as homework for some other time...
- We thank mister Kukino for his over use of power, even though it meant that he had to go at it on a full nighter and now suffers from severe pains in his whole body.
Well, that was a great threat, but there is still juice out for this article, as we can still review something of the demo movie, let's pass some request to mr Nishimura.
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Nishimura here.
From now on let's take a look into the characters introduced in the demo movie.
They became an important factor in the plot development of the story, [those who come from his distant land] (* Here are some of them) (Let's keep it as Harekushi for shorts); here are in casual clothes. We had that in the demo movie most of these guys where on robes, but we have that the director also had ideas on how would they look in casual clothes and how would that would speak to some extent of their personality. Some of these guy appeared previously in our past work (KoF XI) in some endings, but even those fellows got a new costume design just for today.
This one was among the core characters from the Harukeshi "Botan" and her set of illustrations, her design was to keep into account the ideas of [well endowed] , [meat on her bones] and [asian beauty] (it's actually 「むっちり」 「ぽっちゃり」 「アジアンビューティー」, for those who can tell the difference). Within the movements of the lip on the movie we wanted to keep that ぽってり feeling, specially in the movement of her lower lips. We aimed to make her waist a representation of her and her to be bathed in positive comments due to that body part.
In this previous set we have illustrations for Rose.
We wanted to give a big time organizer feeling as this is one of those characters that can put up a large tournament. This beauty has fallen into the control of the Harukeshi gang, just like the tournament itself was put together as a mean to achieve their own purposes. (we advise you to take heed on the game movie for those events). At the time of the creation of these sketches we had in mind to make her volume of her figure something terribly dreadful (they use 「縦ロール」 to describer her.... "important features").
The main morfit for her outfit is of course that of a rose themed get up. While her initial design was more or less inspired by red roses, with this new tournament sponsor design we wanted to capture more of a feeling of blue roses, and is exactly that roses the ones that can also be seen in the location meant for the final match and is where the base of operations of the Harukeshi is implied to be located. We think that these outfits are both, elegant and beautiful.
When it comes to these usually minor characters we always want to make a really big difference in appearance from the playable cast, and those introduced in this episode proved a wonderful opportunity which we hope that everyone enjoyed.
- To express our thanks to Mr Kukino and Mr Nishimura as this exclusive double feature proved to be filled with treasure!!
For the next time it's finally the time for our illustrator Ogura to step up to the plate, and find out all of those amazing stories of strong inspirations and sources that produced all of those "beam of getting ideas" to which all the rest of the staff could do nothing but be left in awe each time he did something.
Do not miss the next episode.
|< Précédent||Suivant >|